Skip to Content

Shared stories

Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Flying Officer Maxwell Harwood

Flying Officer Maxwell Harwood was born in Hobart and served with the New Zealand Air Force in World War Two in the Middle East and Pacific.

Children supporting the war effort

My mother Beverley Evans was the eldest child of Major Alexander Evans MC DSO. She was four years old when her father went to Gallipoli and ten when he finally returned home to Launceston seven years later. Like many children at the time she was eager to support any effort to help with funds to help the soldiers fighting for their country.

Tasmanian Nurse awarded the Military Medal

On the night of 22 July 1917, while Clare was serving with the 2nd Australian Casualty Clearing Station at Trois Arbres near Armentieres, an air raid warning was sounded. Rather than taking shelter in the bunkers, Clare, who was off duty at the time, and two other nurses ran into the hospital to rescue patients.

Sheffield mural depicts Centenary of ANZAC

Sheffield captures the Centenary of ANZAC and 100 years of military history in a mural.

Elsie Tranter (Cumming)

Elsie Tranter was born in 1885 in Fyansford, near Geelong in Victoria, and joined the Australian Army Service,  on 17 August 1916. She embarked for Europe in December 1916. 

Sorell men who served in the Gallipoli campaign

Sorell, like many small rural communities, saw local men go to war. Peta Kelly, of the Sorell History Society, shared their stories of those who served at Gallipoli.

Matron Major Elizabeth Orr RRC

Elizabeth Orr was born on 8 September 1860 in Tasmania’s Hamilton district. She trained as a nurse at the Hobart General Hospital in 1881, and worked as a country nurse, often riding long distances on horseback to care for patients.

Private Allan Edmund Betts

Private Allan Betts left Australia on 8 April 1915 and was taken on strength at Gallipoli on 26 May 1915.  On 16 August 1915 he had septic poisoning and was sent to Malta via Mudros on the “Ascania”. On the island of Mudros he suffered from dysentery. He arrived in Malta on 25 August 1915 and was transferred to England on 7 September 1915.

Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next